In 1822 two members of the University of Cambridge gave the university a set of coffins belonging to a man named Nespawershefyt.
This coffin set, with its extraordinary decoration, dominates the first section of this gallery. More coffins, and also objects placed in tombs alongside coffins can be found in the second section of the gallery.
These ancient Egyptian coffins, and other coffins and fragments not on display, have since 2014 been the focus of a cutting edge interdisciplinary research project by the Museum.
Besides the coffins, gallery highlights include a set of canopic jars, tomb models and a wrapped mummy. Notable benefactors to our Egyptian collections are R G Gayer-Anderson (1943) and Sir Robert Greg (1954) after whom our two Egyptian galleries are named.