This gallery is named after Dr J W L Glashier FRS, a mathematician and fellow of Trinity College who bequeathed his collection of European pottery to the Museum in 1928.
His collection extends throughout the gallery and begins with a display of 17th century slipware, close to which is the Martinware punch bowl in the shape of a giant owl and at the other end of the gallery is a display of Art Pottery including the work of William de Morgan.
The central floor cases of the gallery contain work by living artists working in metal, clay and glass. Many of these works have been given to the Museum, through the Art Fund, by Nicholas and Judith Goodison.
In 2016 the Museum received another significant bequest this time from Dr John Shakeshaft, who was an eminent radio astronomer and Fellow of St Catharine’s College Cambridge.
His bequest of Studio Pottery contains works by 20th century studio potters Bernard Leach, Lucie Rie and Hans Coper.